We share loads and loads of data daily and to maintain online privacy for these loads is definitely a tedious task. Also, with increase in cyber crimes government is trying to take away all the privacy that is left. 2018 has raised these concerns form allegations of interference in elections to Facebook’s unauthorised data access […]
VPN(Virtual Private Network) vs RDP(Remote Desktop Protocol)
VPN and RDP both provides you different degrees of power. The services provided by VPN and RDP are similar, so people might get confused. Encryption and granting private access to a server miles away is done by both VPN and RDP. Comparing them could make things clear on your requirement, whether to use VPN or RDP. However, there are some key differences between them.
- VPN is like a mask that hides your identity and makes you look like some server at some location while browsing.
- RDP is more than a mask, that allows you to become some server itself, it feels as if you were sitting right in front of the system as you would be able to access its files and apps.
What exactly is RDP?
RDP actually is a name of a specific remote desktop access system which was released by Microsoft and was built into their system. RDP creates a virtual connection between you and the remote computer. With the help of RDP, the computer can broadcast its screen, allowing you to control it. This is an advantage RDP has over VPN. Even by just using a laptop you can control a super computer from your location.
There are few drawbacks for RDP as well. RDP could be very slow as you are just not sending files but you are sending application commands, mouse movements and lots and lots of information back and forth, unless you are connected to a super computer. Another drawback is that unless there is certain restrictions on the host machine which the system admin needs to provide, the host machine could be highly vulnerable. Your connection might even get hijacked.
Why to choose VPN over RDP?
VPN works completely different. Your device gets connected to a VPN server and the server processes your online traffic encrypts it and sends it over a secure tunnel. Even though VPN doesn’t provide with additional functionality the way RDP does, your IP address has changed and you are browsing a lot more securely than on an RDP. The security and privacy VPN offers is its greatest advantage. A VPN without a strong encryption is of no use.
You need a VPN or RDP?
- Use VPNShazam and provide your employees, a private internet access when they are working in public spaces or while travelling. With an internal VPN you may grant access to your employees to a central server that contains important files.
- If you need IT technicians to remotely access your employee’s computers for troubleshooting tasks, you should consider using RDP.
For an individual user:
- Personal VPN is highly recommended to access internet anonymously and securely. A personal VPN like VPNShazam is your best choice. With 700+ servers over 60+ locations VPNShazam provides the fastest VPN speeds. Stream your favourite content even while travelling. Visit our website to know more.
- Use of RDP for individual user is highly for specific cases where you are accessing computer of your friend or colleague.
If you are not a system admin all you need is a VPN. Choose VPNShazam and enjoy your cyber freedom. To order please click here.