Cyber-Attack is a widespread phenomenon in the modern era. If you know more about cyber-attack protection, your chance to face such an online attack is less. Do you want to know more about how to protect yourself? During COVID-19, the threat of cyber-attack increases since people are relying on the virtual world more than the past. Business, trade, communication, and even online education are now depending on the internet. Cyber-attacks indeed horrify any victims when it takes place. However, everyone from us always wants to know the steps on how we can protect ourselves from a cyber-attack.
A cyber-attack is a computer attack carried out by an isolated person or by a group of hackers to block a website or steal data. The hackers steal business data and even your WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, or any social networks’ data. This is why people search on google on how to secure Instagram, Facebook, and other social networks.
If you want to know about cyber-attack protection, you need to know the several forms of cyber-attack first.
Several Forms of Cyberattacks
- The hoax, or hoax, is false information propagated on social networks or by emails that invite to be shared by as many people as possible. Thus, the goal is to clog systems, mailboxes to degrade the image of a person, an organization, or an object. Moreover, this misinformation also aims to minimize the impact of real information that matters.
- The virus is a harmful program. You know what? The hacker grafts these harmful programs into the software! And such software is triggered when the latter is used. Coming from web browsing or an external storage drive, it disrupts the operation of the infected device, sometimes causing it to stop.
- The phishing or phishing, represent 65% of incidents of cyber-attack. It takes the form of fake emails from companies or public institutions. Thus, the goal is to recover your personal and bank details. Be very careful!
- Spyware is also similar to viruses. Besides, it spreads itself via a web browser.
- The spamming is an automatic sending of advertising messages in bulk. On the other hand, the email addresses used are fraudulently collected.
- The sniffing is a software that intercepts and recovers data. These include usernames and passwords.
- The denial of service attack exploits flaws in corporate communication protocols. This intrusion consists of making a server unavailable so that it is no longer able to host its sites.
- The locky, the taking of files hostage, is the latest attack. An email with an attachment named “ATTN: Invoice J-XXXXXXX” blocks access to the data and then demands a ransom from the owner.
Cyber-Attack Protection: Protect Yourself
You can protect yourselves from cyber-attack. Here is a list of easily applicable recommendations on cyber-attack protection.
- Use complex and different passwords on each site. However, adding combinations to your passwords (uppercase and/or numbers, for example) increases the difficulty of decryption.
- Make the updates to your software because it will minimize the presence of faults.
- Back up your data regularly to an external hard disk to keep track away from attacks.
- Pay attention to the sites visited and the sources of downloads. Besides, use the secure HTPPS communication protocol; it is displayed in front of the URLs and allows you to add an encryption key when transferring your data.
- Beware of the extensions you install because of some open access to your personal data.
- Installing an anti-virus on your computer allows you to identify and erase malware.
- Installing an anti-spam system on your mailbox allows you to limit the volume of spam or facilitate its treatment.
- Never use a free VPN. Free VPN keeps records of your internet log activities. An unlimited lifetime VPN could be a scam.
- It is always a recommendation to use secured and paid VPN. A VPN never allows hackers to trace you. However, when you are buying a VPN, be sure that they are not keeping a record of your internet log activities. Among the paid VPN, VPNShazam is one of the VPN service providers who never keep the history of the users (Internet Activity Logs). Always keep in mind, using useful and effective VPN service is a great tool for cyber-attack protection.